Digital prescription

First the doctor issues a prescription to the patient. If the doctor prescribing a medicine does not specify otherwise, then all prescriptions are public, i.e. everyone knowing the patient’s personal identification code can buy the drug.

If prescription is marked „Private“, only the patient him/herself can purchase the medicines.If the prescription is marked „Authorized“, then people, assigned by a patient in electronic Patient Portal can collect medicines.Then the patient goes to the pharmacist and presents his/her identity document. After that the pharmacist can sell the drugs prescribed to the patient. All the data will be saved in the Patient Portal where patient has a full overview of the drugs prescribed and bought.


Yes, drugs can be bought for someone else and you need your identity document and the identity code of the person you are buying medicines for.

The pharmacist enters the buyer’s personal identification code into the Digital Prescription Center. The buyer has to know the identification code of the patient. If the patient has more than one prescription, then it is necessary to know the name of the drug or the doctor or the date of the prescription in order to pick the right one.


The doctor can issue a paper prescription. The pharmacist can call to service desk of digital prescription and he/she will have all the information necessary to sell the drug that is needed.

In case of a home visit, the doctor writes the prescription on a paper as in the past. The buyer must give the identity document and the prescription on paper to the pharmacist. If the pharmacist has registered the prescription in the Digital Prescription Center, the patient and physicians can see it in the Patient Portal.

We recommend that you actively use the Patient Portal, where in addition to general health information you can monitor the information of the prescription drugs, including whether the patient has bought the drugs or for how long the prescriptions are valid.

If you can’t access the Internet, you should make notes of the prescription (in calendar or somewhere else) or ask the doctor to issue a paper with all the information needed.

Paper prescriptions can be prescribed if it is not possible or practical to issue digital prescription (for example, a patient who is planning to go abroad and needs to buy medicines abroad).

Healthcare in EU

You can get the European health insurance card by ordering it on www.eesti.ee, by submitting an application at your local client service office of the Health Insurance Fund, or by sending an application to the Health Insurance Fund by post or by e-mail, in which case it must be digitally signed.

Persons who are at least 15 years of age can apply for the European health insurance card by presenting their passport or ID-card. A parent or representative of the child can apply for the card for the child until the child is 19 years old.

Once the European health insurance card has been ordered, it is unfortunately not possible to change the mailing address where the card is sent. If your order the card via www.eesti.ee, then you must verify your address in the portal before submitting the application. The card is sent to the address indicated in the portal. If you order the health insurance card by other means, then it is sent to the address indicated on the application.

The card is issued to persons by their country of insurance (country that receives the person’s taxes). A person can be insured in only one member state. If you work in several member states, then you should turn to the Social Insurance Board to state your country of insurance. If your taxes are received by Estonia and you are insured as an employee, then you can apply for the European health insurance card from the Estonian Health Insurance Fund. Citizenship is not a deciding factor regarding health insurance.

To order a new health insurance card, you must first cancel the previous one. You can do so by calling the information phone of the Health Insurance Fund at (+372) 669 6630. You can then order a new card at the state portal. You can also bring the application for the card to a client service office of the Health Insurance Fund or send it by post or e-mail, in which case it must be digitally signed. The application is available on the website of the Health Insurance Fund.

In order to receive a new EHIC you have to submit a new application. The new card can be ordered a month before the old card expires.

If you order EHIC to a health insurance fund office, it can be obtained in 7-10 days. When ordering your card to your home it will arrive a little bit faster. EHIC is valid for three years if the person is medically insured. For children under 19 years of age the card is issued with a validity of five years.

Necessary medical care is not free - the patient must pay self-liability fees (visitation fee, in-patient fee, co-payment, etc.) according to local rates. These costs are not refundable. EHIC does not cover transport costs or private doctor fees. 

Students (including pupils) who go to study abroad have to submit a foreign school´s certificate to the health insurance fund in order to continue their health insurance. The certificate must contain the following information: student's personal identification number, first name and last name, the data of the university and the duration of studies.

In order to receive necessary medical care in another EU country on equal terms to the insured people living there, you have to apply for an EHIC. The health insurance is formalised for 12 months maximum, therefor we ask you to remember to send a verification of your studies to the health insurance fund on each academic year.


If an Estonian citizen starts working in another EU member state and the taxes will be paid there, he/she will receive health insurance from that state.  However he/she cannot have a existing health insurance in Estonia at the same time.

If a person works in a number of EU member states, he/she will receive health insurance from the state where he/she pays social security contributions.

In such case there are several options. Table comparing treatment options and benefits can be found here. Firstly if a person chooses to go abroad under the legislation of the Directive 2011/24, then he/she needs a referral from a family or private doctor. Persons will pay all invoices themselves on site and will be reimbursed later, reimbursements are made in accordance with the Estonian price list (co-payments and other non-medical costs such as transportation and accomodation are not reimbursed). All of the documents that a person needs to submit can be found here.

Secondly a person can submit an application to the health insurance fund under the legislation of Regulation (EC) No 883/2004 art 20 and under Health Insurance Act section 271. Applications that do not come with a council decision will be processed longer, because then the health insurance fund has to request the decision themselves. Further information can be found here.

The health insurance fund covers only the costs of people who have received the prior authorization on the basis of the form E112 or the letter of guarantee. When a person goes abroad to receive planned treatment before getting the prior authorization from EHIF and submits an application and invoices for reimbursement after the treatment, the health insurance fund cannot compensate the cost of treatment in local rates of the country that provided healthcare. In this case the compensation is only possible in accordance with the Estonian price list (legislation of the Directive 2011/24).

The application should be submitted to the health insurance fund as soon as possible. The council decision speeds up the process and a decision can be made as an exception.  

To do so, a person working in an EU member state must contact the competent authority in the country where he / she works and request the application form.

Since planned examinations do not qualify as necessary medical care and she does not have Estonian health insurance, she cannot have them for free.

When an Estonian pensioner receives pension from Estonia, she must apply for the form E121/S1 (application forms) from EHIF when she starts living in Finland. After the form is registered in the new country of residence she becomes entitled to all medical care equal to other pensioners of that country.

When it comes to posted workers or if the person is working in several countries at the same time, then the person firstly has to submit an application to the Social Security Office to receive the form under the A1 certificate and after that has to make an application to the health insurance fund to receive the form E106/S1. The health insurance fund proceeds from the information mentioned in the form A1 when issuing the form E106/S1. 

Once all the necessary information (the duration of the dispatch is not longer than 6 months) is available, the health insurance fund can issue the form E106/S1, which gives the person the right to register him-/herself in the dispatched country´s  health insurance institution. The form E106/S1 is sent to the employer unless it is agreed otherwise.

Moreover, addition to the posted worker, the frontier worker and person raising a child under 3 years whose employment contract has been suspended, can request the form E106/S1. They also have to submit an application to the health insurance fund.

The form E104 is issued to people upon request. Firstly the health insurance should be canceled in Estonia. According to the Population Law, when living in another EU member state you have to inform the population register about your new place of residence, the health insurance fund cannot end the insurance before this.

The form E104 confirms that your health insurance in Estonia has ended. The application to obtain confirmation can be found here. A completed application can be brought to a health insurance fund customer service office, you can also send it by post or by digitally signed e-mail. Contact information can be found here.

Students health insurance

If the student’s standard study period is three years, then his or her health insurance is valid for four years and three months. Thus, if the standard study period ends this summer, then the health insurance received through the university will end next autumn. You can check the validity of your health insurance in the state portal eesti.ee or by calling the Health Insurance Fund's customer service line +372 669 6630.

Yes. There is no difference whether the student is studying full-time or part-time.

Ei leidnud sobilikku vastust? Küsi lisaks.