Incapacity for work certificate forms E115 and E116

When a relevant institution of a EU member state pays sickness benefit to a patient who is insured in a EU member state and has received necessary medical care or planned treatment in Estonia, the institution may need additional information on forms E116 and E115. 

To obtain these forms, the patient must:

  • ask the doctor who treated him/her in Estonia to fill in form E116, which can be found here.
  • submit the E116 form together with the application (application for incapacity for work benefit forms E115 and E116) to the Estonian Health Insurance Fund.
  • On form E116, the attending doctor must complete fields 3, 4, and 5 (the doctor must add his/her stamp to field 4). Please send the completed form by mail to the Estonian Health Insurance Fund in Pärnu at Suur-Jõe 63, Pärnu 80042. EHIF then fills in fields 1, 2 and 8 on form E116 and adds form E115.

If you have any questions about how to fill in the form, please contact the Estonian Health Insurance Fund by phone 443 0237 or e-mail info [at]


Incapacity for work certificate issued in a foreign country

EHIF pays temporary incapacity for work benefit to a person insured in Estonia also on the basis of a document certifying illness issued by a foreign doctor.

A document certifying illness issued by a foreign doctor must be submitted to the employer, who will attach the employer's certificate to it.


In the Health Insurance Fund, each insured person has only one bank account where benefits are deposited. You can check your bank account on the citizen portal or by calling the customer service 669 6630. All transfers are made to the last submitted bank account.


At the request of the Health Insurance Fund, a certified translation into Estonian by a sworn translator must be attached to the certificate issued by a foreign doctor. The costs of translating the certificate shall be borne by the insured person.