The Member States of the European Union and the states of the European Economic Area, where the terms described below are valid, are the following:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Netherland, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Republic.
NECESSARY HEALTH CARE WHILE STAYING IN ANOTHER EU STATE
Prior to going to another Member State the European health insurance card or its replacement certificate should be taken from the Estonian Health Insurance Fund. On the basis of the latter the person insured in Estonia gets necessary health care while staying temporarily in another state. Necessary health care is provided according to the legislation of the country of location. The latter means that the person insured in Estonia should, when getting necessary health care in another state pay for the medical treatment similarly to the local insured person. Necessary health care is not free of charge – the patient’s co-payment should be paid according to the tariffs of the country of location. The patient’s co-payment is later not covered by the Health Insurance Fund. Therefore it is recommended to take also the travel insurance in the private insurance company, as on the basis of the latter the patient’s co-payment, private doctor’s visit, patient’s transport from one country to another etc., which are not compensated on the basis of the European health insurance card, are also covered.
IN CASE YOU NEED HEALTH CARE WHILE STAYING IN ESTONIA
- Check if the provider of health care service has a contract with Estonian Health Insurance Fund (private care is not refundable).
- Present your European health insurance card.
- In case you do not have a European health insurance card, request your institution of the place of residence to fax the Certificate provisionally replacing the European health insurance card.
- In case you do not have a European health insurance card and it is not possible to get the Certificate provisionally replacing the European health insurance card, the doctor has a right to present you the bill.
- Make sure you get the so called doctor’s explanation form (list of the health care services received).
- In case of reimbursement, present the paid bills, documents of payment and doctor’s explanation form to institution of the place of residence.
- Only the necessary medical care is reimbursed (which has become necessary during your stay in Estonia).