Pursuant to the Health insurance Act state-insured persons are:
- persons receiving allowance for spouse - on the basis of § 67 of the Foreign Service Act
- one parent living in Estonia and raising a child under the age of 3 living in Estonia or a person who uses parental leave instead of the parent and who raises a child under the age of 3 in Estonia
- one guardian or caregiver living in Estonia who has signed a written family care agreement for raising a child under the age of 3
- one non-working parent living in Estonia who raises three or more children under the age of 19 living in Estonia, at least one of whom is under the age of 8
- one parent, guardian or caregiver living in Estonia who has signed a family care agreement and who raises seven or more children under the age of 19 living in Estonia
- a dependent spouse of an insured person who raises at least one child under the age of 8 or a child under the age of 8 until the completion of the first grade or at least three children under the age of 16 and does not receive childcare allowance from the state
- persons receiving social benefits
- a caregiver of a disabled person to whom rural municipality or city government pays allowance for taking care of a disabled person and who do not work or receive a state pension
- persons receiving allowance of rescue servant
- persons receiving unemployment benefits
- persons participating in labor market training, provided that they do not receive unemployment benefits
- persons doing their internship, provided that they do not receive unemployment benefits
- people participating in work practice
- persons receiving unemployment insurance benefit
- persons receiving doctoral allowance
- persons receiving support for creative activity
- nuns or monks of a monastery entered in the register of religious associations
Applying for health insurance cover
To commence, terminate or suspend health insurance cover, the payer of social tax, i.e. local authority, state or monastery, will submit necessary data to EHIF.
Commencement of health insurance cover
The insurance cover will commence as of the making of an entry on commencement of the insurance cover in the health insurance database. EHIF will make the entry within five calendar days of receiving the correct documents.
Termination of health insurance cover
The insurance cover will terminate one month (two months for persons receiving unemployment insurance benefit, and three months for persons with partial or no work capacity) after the termination of the obligation of the state to pay social tax for the person. The institution through which social tax was paid will provide EHIF with information on the termination of insurance.