Pupils and students
The following persons studying in an educational institution in Estonia or in an equivalent educational institution abroad are entitled to health insurance:
- pupils acquiring basic education;
- pupils acquiring general secondary education;
- students acquiring formal vocational education;
- higher education students who are permanent residents of Estonia.
Doctoral candidates are entitled to health insurance only if they receive doctoral allowance. The health insurance for those receiving doctoral allowance is provided by the state, by paying social tax for them. Health insurance for people receiving doctoral allowance is granted based on the data provided by the Ministry of Education and Research.
Commencement of health insurance cover
Data of pupils and students studying in Estonia are submitted to the Health Insurance Fund by the Ministry of Education and Research that is also responsible for the accuracy and timely submission of the data. After the proper data have arrived, the Health Insurance Fund will make an entry about the validity of health insurance cover within five calendar days.
End of health insurance cover
- The insurance cover of a pupil acquiring basic education will terminate three months after their graduation from the educational institution.
- The insurance cover of a pupil acquiring general secondary education will terminate three months after their graduation from the educational institution. If the pupil is expelled from the educational institution before graduation within three years after starting his or her studies, his or her insurance cover terminates one month thereafter.
- The Insurance cover of a student acquiring formal vocational education will terminate three months after their graduation from the educational institution. If the student fails to graduate from the educational institution within the standard period of study prescribed for completion of the curriculum (except for medical reasons) or is expelled from the educational institution before graduation, his or her insurance cover terminates one month thereafter.
- The Insurance cover of a higher education student will terminate three months after their graduation from the educational institution. If a student fails to graduate from the educational institution within one year after the end of the standard period of study prescribed for completion of the curriculum or is expelled from the educational institution before graduation, their insurance cover will terminate one month thereafter.
Insurance cover will be suspended for any period of academic leave, except when the student has taken the academic leave due to illness or injury. If the academic leave is taken during the standard period of study, the health insurance cover will be suspended for the period of leave and it will continue after the end of the academic leave.
What to do if you have problems or questions regarding health insurance? Check your health insurance coverage from the state portal eesti.ee or call the Health Insurance Fund’s customer service line (+372) 669 6630.
Persons studying abroad
Pupils and higher education students who go to study abroad should in order their health insurance in Estonia to continue submit to the Health Insurance Fund an application and a document certifying the enrolment in a foreign educational institution, which must include the following data:
- name of the educational institution
- address of the educational institution
- first and last name of the student
- student’s personal identification code or date of birth
- duration of the study period
- first and last name, communication information and signature of the educational institution’s representative
The following options are available for submitting a document and application certifying studies at a foreign educational institution:
- in the state portal service "Applying for health insurance (Pregnant; student abroad)"
- digitally signed by e-mail to info [at] haigekassa.ee,
- By post to the address Lastekodu 48, Tallinn, 10113
Pupils and higher education students who are studying abroad and have Estonian health insurance are entitled to receive necessary medical care in the EU member states, EEA states and in Switzerland based on the European Health Insurance Card.
The EHIF is pleased to announce that this year has added a convenient opportunity for pregnant women and students studying abroad to apply for insurance through the state portal.
Until now, documents had to be sent to the EHIF digitally signed by post or e-mail, but from this year they can be submitted via the eesti.ee service "Applying for health insurance (Pregnant; student abroad)".
The status of the application can be monitored by the person from the state portal. The insurance will be issued within 5 working days and will be notified by e-mail.
Additional information info [at] haigekassa.eerel="noreferrer noopener" target="_blank" or +372 669 6630 (Mon. - Thu. 8.30 - 16.30; Fri. 8.30 - 14.00).
Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ
If the student’s standard study period is three years, then his or her health insurance is valid for four years and three months. Thus, if the standard study period ends this summer, then the health insurance received through the university will end next autumn. You can check the validity of your health insurance in the state portal eesti.ee or by calling the Health Insurance Fund's customer service line +372 669 6630.
Yes. There is no difference whether the student is studying full-time or part-time.