Child, pupil and student
All children under 19 years of age, whose principal place of residence is in Estonia, as entered in the population register, are covered with health insurance. The insurance cover is valid until the day of their 19th birthday (included).
Commencement of health insurance cover
The Health Insurance Fund registers children under 19 years of age based on the data received from the population register. Insurance cover is granted to the children whose data in the population register meet the requirements, including their address of their principal place of residence in Estonia is specified.
In case a birth certificate has been issued but the child's data have not reached the health insurance fund database, we kindly ask the parents to contact the Health Insurance Fund's customer service or call the customer's help line +372 669 6630 for further guidance.
End of health insurance cover
All children under 19 years of age, whose principal place of residence is in Estonia, as entered in the population register, have health insurance. The insurance cover is valid until the day of their 19th birthday.
Pupils and students
The following persons studying in an educational institution in Estonia or in an equivalent educational institution abroad are entitled to health insurance:
• pupils acquiring basic education;
• pupils acquiring general secondary education;
• students acquiring formal vocational education;
• higher education students who are permanent residents of Estonia.
Doctoral candidates are entitled to health insurance only if they receive doctoral allowance. The health insurance for those receiving doctoral allowance is provided by the state, by paying social tax for them. Health insurance for people receiving doctoral allowance is granted based on the data provided by the Ministry of Education and Research.
Commencement of health insurance cover
Data of pupils and students studying in Estonia are submitted to the Health Insurance Fund by the Ministry of Education and Research that is also responsible for the accuracy and timely submission of the data. After the proper data have arrived, the Health Insurance Fund will make an entry about the validity of health insurance cover within five calendar days.
End of health insurance cover
• The insurance cover of a pupil acquiring basic education will terminate three months after their graduation from the educational institution.
The insurance cover of a pupil acquiring general secondary education will terminate three months after their graduation from the educational institution. If the pupil is expelled from the educational institution before graduation within three years after starting his or her studies, his or her insurance cover terminates one month thereafter.
• The Insurance cover of a student acquiring formal vocational education will terminate three months after their graduation from the educational institution. If the student fails to graduate from the educational institution within the standard period of study prescribed for completion of the curriculum (except for medical reasons) or is expelled from the educational institution before graduation, his or her insurance cover terminates one month thereafter.
• The Insurance cover of a higher education student will terminate three months after their graduation from the educational institution. If a student fails to graduate from the educational institution within one year after the end of the standard period of study prescribed for completion of the curriculum or is expelled from the educational institution before graduation, their insurance cover will terminate one month thereafter.
Insurance cover will be suspended for any period of academic leave, except when the student has taken the academic leave due to illness or injury. If the academic leave is taken during the standard period of study, the health insurance cover will be suspended for the period of leave and it will continue after the end of the academic leave.
What to do if you have problems or questions regarding health insurance? Check your health insurance coverage from the state portal eesti.ee or call the Health Insurance Fund’s customer service line (+372) 669 6630.
Persons studying abroad
Pupils and higher education students who go to study abroad should in order their health insurance in Estonia to continue submit to the Health Insurance Fund an application and a document certifying the enrolment in a foreign educational institution, which must include the following data:
- name of the educational institution
- address of the educational institution
- first and last name of the student
- student’s personal identification code or date of birth
- duration of the study period
- first and last name, communication information and signature of the educational institution’s representative
N.B. The exact dates of the duration of the study period must be indicated on the certificate. The certificate of enrolment must be submitted to the EHIF every academic year, as health insurance is provided on the basis of a submitted document for a maximum period of 12 months.
Pupils and higher education students who are studying abroad and have Estonian health insurance are entitled to receive necessary medical care in the EU member states, EEA states and in Switzerland based on the European Health Insurance Card.
The application for health insurance should be sent by post, by e-mail or brought to the EHIF customer service office.
Check the validity of your health insurance in the state portal eesti.ee under "Health Insurance and Family Physician Information" service or send an email to info [at] haigekassa.ee or call the Health Insurance Fund's customer service line +372 669 6630.
If the standard study period to complete the curriculum ends this summer, but the student will graduate from the university next spring, until what time will his/her health insurance be valid?
If the student’s standard study period is three years, then his or her health insurance is valid for four years and three months. Thus, if the standard study period ends this summer, then the health insurance received through the university will end next autumn. You can check the validity of your health insurance in the state portal eesti.ee or by calling the Health Insurance Fund's customer service line +372 669 6630.
Does a part-time student also receive health insurance?
Yes. There is no difference whether the student is studying full-time or part-time.
The student is currently on academic leave and is unemployed. Can he/she register him/herself as an unemployed person during academic leave in order to receive health insurance?
Persons who are enrolled in daytime study or are studying full-time cannot be registered as unemployed persons. But those on academic leave can be registered as unemployed persons. You can read more about it on the website of Estonian Unemployment Insurance Fund.